Monday, August 14, 2006

I love Wellington....BUT.....


in a southerly gale it is not the nicest place to be! I finally made it home after a long weekend working in Wellington and then collapsed with the flu - that's why it has been so quiet in my neck of the woods.

But I was going to sing the praises of Wellington not moan about the weather or the flu! It has to be the best capital city in the world - compact, relatively uncrowded, a sane city that manages to create living spaces that constantly surprise and delight me. Heaps of places to eat decent food, drink excellent coffee and sleep undisturbed - all for prices that you Europeans would just not believe! And then there are the theatres and the cinemas and of course Te Papa......

I love Wellington, I just wish it wasn't built on a fault line, I wish I hadn't experienced an earthquake there, I wish the airport didn't get closed by fog and leave me stranded for the night, I wish there was a bit of land between it and Antarctica - but then if my wishes came true it just wouldn't be Wellington!

No comments: